Wednesday, September 30, 2015

School Days, New and Old

Back-to-school beach party

Lighting those marshmallows on fire ("because that's how I like them"--ha!)

It might be the last beach day of the summer, but not of the year!

Ninth grade (high school!)

Fifth grade

Clearly they're on their way to being the heads of their respective classes

Seventh grade

Third grade

Again, can we expect less than the best from these two?

Seminary, 6:30 am

(while he's there, I get to run into sunrises that look like this . . .
 
and take random photos of spiders that look like this!)

Carpool to the middle school
 
Emerson holding court on the playground

Sera is thrilled to be in a class with her best friend, Alyssa


Now there's more time for beach walks with this little baby doll

And baths in the sink

And snuggles in hooded towels


But is she happy when her brothers and sisters get back? You'd better believe it!

Seriously though, I've never seen a baby so frequently mistaken for a baby doll


She helped me study for the French and Arabic classes I signed up for . . . until I got kicked out for bringing her along--I call prejudice against multilingual babies!


And then I carted her along when I went out to Salt Lake for my 20 year class reunion . . . er, um 10 years?

Best friends a girl could have! I love these two, Emily, my best buddy since kindergarten, and Kristin, my dearest friend through high school--though they barely knew each other through those years, Kristin ended up marrying Emily's violin teacher's son, who she met in New York City. Such a funny world we live in.

Such great friendships I have with these girls! There's a closeness among those we grow up with that can't be imitated.

Steve is an inspiration to everyone who knows the work of The Piano Guys, but especially to me--there's something just amazing about seeing someone you knew in middle school breaking out into the wider universe. I have incredible respect for the amazing influence Steve is having on the world, and even more for the truly good person he remains through it all.

Those trips down memory lane remind you what it is you are really made of, and the building blocks that got you there.

Truly beautiful to reconnect with such lovely women who inspire me still! Did I mention that I have never been among so many women who have five kids (and more!)--I feel like I joined a really cool club that I didn't even know existed.
Also, this gorgeous girl of mine had a birthday.

But there are some things she hasn't grown out of.

Can't quite believe she's at the stage where she asks for clothes as a birthday gift--she was very excited about a jean jacket.

No comments: