Monday, October 31, 2011

October Snapshot

More and more, our family fun times are on Saturdays.  I actually love this, because there was a time when Saturday was the day I most dreaded in the week--when it didn't mean a day of leisure, but a day of extra work and trying to keep little people quiet while littler people slept.  Now though, the days of napping schedules are behind us (unless you count Aaron), and Saturdays are the ones we love spending together.  I've been trying to make us take a slightly longer road trip (1-3 hours) once a month, to see some of the fun sites that surround us.  The other weeks, we enjoy the activities right here in town.


We love the Botanical Gardens in town, and the wonderful events they host.  On this afternoon, we enjoyed a pumpkin festival complete with sampling some pretty gourmet pumkin soups that I hope I can recreate.  One was a curried pumpkin soup with coconut milk, while the other (the one the kids loved) was pumpkin apple soup with a bit of maple in it.  Yum!


I think this one is actually from September, when we visited the Children's Museum of Indianapolis.  It's considered by many to be the best in the country, and we enjoyed the chance to explore all four levels of wonder, from the ginormous talking transformer "Bumblebee" in the front foyer, to the archaeology exhibit featuring ancient China and ancient Egypt, to the Barbie exhibit that taught me way more than I ever wanted to know about my least favorite toy (oh whatever, they're kind of cool once you get to know them).


Joy School Halloween party!  Love these little cuties and all their pizazz!!


Next, the Halloween party at our house!  We kept it pretty simple--how can you lose with donuts on a string?


And the second round!


A little Ghosts in the Graveyard . . .


And we finished up our Halloween celebrations by trick-or-treating together.  I'm afraid Theo wasn't amused that we didn't let him go on his own or with friends, but we let him walk ahead of us!  We have Buzz Lightyear on the left, a sprouting werewolf, a sweatered-up princess with a furry hat under her crown, and a Fancy Nancy.  I have better pictures of the kids, but this is the only one outside with the pumpkins in back, so.

No comments: